Parents Who Force Kids Into Sports

Parents Who Force Kids Into Sports

I've seen a number of parents pushing their kids into sports when the kid wanted nothing to do with it. And I can't figure out the reason for it.

I was thinking it was somehow in the parent's head that it would "toughen" the child... but I don't think that a "tougher" body is a good tradeoff for the emotional turmoil that could happen if the child is not interested in sports and being forced into something instead of making their own decisions about things like sports and extracurricular activities.

I see your point but I also know kids who lack social or coordination skills and their parents have them try everything once. I think the hope is that they find something they like and it helps their children grow. Or it's the parents remembering how much they loved a sport and hope the child feels the same. Some kids need an extra push to try new things. If I didn't push my little one outside sometimes he would end up a couch potato watching TV or playing iPad all day. And he would have never realized how much he likes soccer.

And then there is the, once you start something you have to finish it aspect. Which I also understand because it does teach kids follow through. Sure it's a struggle but in the end hopefully it works out.

Hope that shines a light on some of the other reasons parents push their kids into sports when their kids seem to not want to do them.

I think there is an age when it becomes more of a "force" issue, for sure. Right now, all of my kids are 1st grade and under. We want to encourage them to find activities they like, and we want to provide opportunities to try lots of things. That said, I will just die if my daughter ends up LOVING something like dance. I know that sounds awful, but I think I'd be one of those parents who really tries to get her OUT of it as a young age. I just know far too many dancers who suffer from severe body image issues. I think it is great for little girls, but this is one I'll be putting a stop to before it becomes competitive.

On the other hand, I wouldn't feel the same way about soccer. I wouldn't mind at all if my daughters wanted to be competitive in sports.

I don't know what it is.

I totally see what you are talking about. I can't say I've dealt with it personally yet, but it is definitely something that will come up. I also think I'd probably be one of those parents who "force" sports if I have a kid who is just lazy… I don't know. It would kill me to have a kid who refused to be active in some way. That said, I'd be just as happy to go out for a run with my kids if they weren't into organized sports or sports with balls.

Quote Originally Posted by clairebeautiful View Post
    I think there is an age when it becomes more of a "force" issue, for sure. Right now, all of my kids are 1st grade and under. We want to encourage them to find activities they like, and we want to provide opportunities to try lots of things.
    I think that's a good way to define where it changes... encouraging is great. And I think the important part is what you said here... "to find activities THEY like." I've seen parents choose the "you're a boy so you need to either play football or wrestle" or "you're a girl, you can't play sports, you have to do dance and drama classes." It makes me cringe.

I'm with you about the activity... if my daughter is never interested in organized sports, we'd run or ski or swim... or biking... *something.* Couch potatoes not welcome here. I have an old football injury myself (don't ask hehe) and am proud of it because it reminds me that I have awesome parents who encouraged what I wanted to do no matter where the gender lines were drawn when I was growing up.

Zeekums!

I totally agree with all of your theories! Kids do need a little push sometimes especially if the parent is not an active parent himself/herself. I see it as neglect if the parent doesn't introduce some type of physical activity to the child. Obesity is killing our children as well as adults! I believe parents should lead by example and health and fitness should be just as important as education! Great Response!

I agree that it is important for kids to be active on a daily basis. And if sports are the way you can get your child there, then that's great. This is just my two cents, but I also think it's important for us to expose our children to a variety of activities. A trend that I notice is that children participate in one sport, year round and nothing else and I wonder what effect that will have.

Not to rehash and older thread needlessly, but I think there are so many alternatives for almost every "reason" someone might force their kid to do sport. My son isn't an athlete but he gets some socialization from boy scouts and exercise from him and I doing things active together. But I am not judging, I just can't see myself being that way to my kids. To each their own.

I guess it's just hard to draw the line between wanting your kid to be successful and pushing them a tad bit too hard.

I think sport is very good for everybody ))

kids need to be pushed every day to their limit to try harder!! that is what i do for my daughter mykaliea. she loves doing soccer, and if she loses games I take away her food!!! thats why she dosent lose hahahahah

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.