PPD: How Long Did It Last, and Did You Medicate?

PPD: How Long Did It Last, and Did You Medicate?

If you had to deal with PPD, how long did the worst of it last for you? Were you under a doctor's care to cope... and was there medication? (I'm not sure how that would play out if breastfeeding is an issue.)

If you fought it on your own, what did you do?

I was fortunate in not having to deal with it, and in the past it was often hidden. It's good to know that it's talked about more now and that no one has to be afraid to admit there's something going on so that they can get the help that's needed.

Hi katews
    Came across your post today. PPD can be treated. Severe attacks need doctor's care and counseling. Yes its good now as they are very open about them unlike olden days.

I think it is so important to think about PPD if you have a tendency to be depressed. I hope that doctors assess for this, because it feels like in the midst of having a newborn, a mom may have her hands full and not know she is depressed. Very glad that there is more discussion around this problem.

Hi katews,

I agree with jill@bgg. Please get your doctor to assess you since you have a baby and get help. Do not feel bad because things will become easier once treatment (if needed) is given. Please keep in touch in the forum. I will pray for you as I am a christian.

Long story short, I only technically knew I was preggo for 7 weeks. One of those crazy, I didn't know I was pregnant girls. After my daughter was born and they put her on me and I felt nothing for her. I expected what everyone had described and all I wanted was them to clean her and give me the sandwich I was promised after I pushed her out. I tried and tried and tried every day to develop the connection with her and it just wasn't happening. I would go into the shower and just cry because I didn't know what to do and didn't know how I could feel nothing for my own child. I finally admitted to myself and boyfriend that I think I had postpartum about 4 months in. we talked and he and I decided that going to see my doctor was the best decision. Of course he put me on medication but it didn't seem to help. I just pushed through though and it took a long time, it wasn't until about a month ago I finally admitted that yes, I had felt nothing for her in the beginning but that's because I didnt have the whole pregnancy to love this growing child inside of me. But now, she's almost 11 months old and is my favorite thing in the whole world and would do anything for her.

I I think that you can get out of it by yourself but you have to be mentally prepared to allow yourself to admit to your shortcomings or feelings you've been trying to push down. I think though that seeing a doctor is definitely a good idea and a good start cause it may just be that you need someone to talk to and maybe you need the medication. Everyone is different but I think the doctor is a smart start for sure.

Hi Katie,
    I am glad you got over that condition. I believe I had it too in a moderate version, didn't go to a doctor, but was able to overcome it by myself, I believe my son helped me out once he started to walk I felt the drastic change.
    The company I work for is conducting a PostPartum Depression study. We are interviewing moms on the phone for an hour and we are paying them $125. If you are interested to provide us with some feedback, feel free to contact me at associates@decisionpointresearch.ca or cell 647-856-1929.
    All the best,
    Neritana

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.