How long did you wait?

How long did you wait?

Last night, I found myself at a family party with about 90 people. At the end of the night, I was in the restroom lounge area changing my son into pajamas, when a woman walked in with a baby in her carrier. A group of children gathered around the carrier and were admiring the little girl. When one little girl asked how old the baby was, the mom (I assume) said 6 days. I thought for sure I didn't hear correctly, but then she said "she was born on Monday."

So, I guess my question to the group, is how long did everyone wait until they brought their newborns out?

We waited for I think 6-8 weeks until they had their immunizations. (I can't remember exactly) Probably I was a little overly cautious, because my kids were 2 and a half weeks in the NICU before we got to bring them home. I guess I am just wondering what others did.

Wow... I agree that 6 days seems very soon! Well, I guess I should expand on that. We took my daughter "out" a couple of times the first few weeks, but that was to see grandparents and great grandparents.

She was premature and under 5 pounds... I even had her before my baby shower was planned so she was 10 days old on shower day. There was no way I was going to take her among that many people to pass her around when she hadn't even reached 5 pounds by then. And people seemed to think I was awful for not bringing her with me!

After 2 weeks we started going out to a few places, but it was at least a month that it was to places that would have a lot of people and kids who may have been sick, etc.

Not very long. When my daughter was born my husband was in Iraq and I was living alone, so if I had to go somewhere Rebekah came with me. I wore her in a Moby wrap so she was close to my body and slept. We mostly went to the store, Temple services, and I would take myself out to eat lol. When she was 4 weeks old I went to visit my Dad and his wife and some other family members 2 hours away with just me and the little one. I made a few extra stops to nurse along the way. My husband came home when she was 10 weeks old.

I took DS and DD relatively soon after they were born. I think DS was around five days and DD was around three but don't quote me on that. Those days are such a blur.

Wow Mags. I am super impressed. Did your husband get to stay put for a while? Or was he deployed again?

Quote Originally Posted by jill@bgg View Post
    Wow Mags. I am super impressed. Did your husband get to stay put for a while? Or was he deployed again?
    He is out of the Army now! So we get to keep him. I found out I was about 5 weeks pregnant right after he left for training before heading to Iraq. My Mom lived
    with us so I had her support but she died when I was 7 months along.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your mother, Mags. I can't even imagine how horrible that must have been with that loss happening while pregnant and with hubby deployed.

My nephew is about to leave for his 7th deployment... I have no idea how my niece-in-law manages with the loneliness while he's gone, and while raising two young children. I know I wouldn't be able to deal with it.

Mags that sounds awful losing your mom when you were pregnant. You're a strong woman!

Thanks ladies.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.