Need advice for self destructive Son.......

Need advice for self destructive Son.......

Hello all i am new around here. Just looking for some help or advice with my son. My son is 17 years old, has always been a great kid makes great grades. A few months ago my son his girlfriend and two of there friends were coming home from the movies and they were creamed by a drunk driver. Son was the only one to survive and spent an extensive amount of time in the hospital. Well he has been on a path of self destruction. His grades have been going down hill he comes home wasted drunk on the weekends always moping around. He has been sleeping around a lot even with older women from what some of his friends have said. He does go and see a therapist and also sees a psychiatrist and is on zoloft for his depression. I don't know what to do, or how to help him. I could really use some advice. Thank you ladies in advance.

Oh my goodness Mom0120, your son and your family has been through such a horrible ordeal. Your son must be so affected by having been a part of such a terrible trauma. I imagine that he has tremendous survivor guilt. What does his therapist say about his self destructive behavior?

Says it's normal. Son is still on heavy pain killers for his torso/back injuries from the wreck he will probably have back problems all of his life now.

I think that you are in a hard position, because your son seems to be going through a tough period after the trauma and young men seem to engage in those kinds of behaviors to express themselves. I think there are going to be points where there is little that you can do, but to keep in touch with your son's therapist, hold your boundaries and probably speak to a therapist of your own so that you can have some guidance and support in this process. As I am typing, I feel like my words are so not enough for how difficult this must be for your. I cannot imagine. I am here if you need support.

When I was 18 my parents did an incredible thing for me. They sent me to go vocational guidance. It helped me to decide what I want in life. When I had a goal, I became more motivated, I became more active and tried to do all my best. I did not study well at school and it was hard for me to study in college. My doctor prescribed me special smart pills https://nootropicboost.com/buy-best-...cs/aniracetam/ to improve my cognitive abilities and it helped me to catch up with the program. Maybe your son just doesn't have enough purpose. He tries, but it doesn't work, because it's not interesting to him.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.