Can online games be used to educate children?

Question Can online games be used to educate children?

My daughter (she is 6yo) has a new passion - Fynsy (a character from online games: http://www.fynsy.com/tag/fynsy). She can spend all day dressing it, doing makeups or playing different quests. I understand that it can be useful, and include some elements of education, and still...not sure if it is good or not.
    Do your children play any online/computer games? How to limit this new "hobbie" and replace it with something else? Or maybe I shouldn`t?
    What do you think about online games?

Kids get chromebooks in 3rd grade in our school district. So they start getting access to online games very early. They play prodigy and animal jam. It seemed ok at first, but animal jam started adding on elements of social networks. Only a year later my child told me that there was a strange encounter in a chat room in animal jam. I lean more towards apps that I can monitor and work is getting done. We tried Splash math apps - but the subscription is pricey. We now play Smarty Buddy math games and logic games.

Games should be kept at a minimum.. oofcourse some games are better Than others, but still games... You should not underestimate the value of learning to improve their imaginations by just playing and making up games and scenarios .. In games everything is pre-set, and there is no need for that much imagination and no morals as when they play... Of course some games are good for something.. But in my opinion nothing beats a good storybook where morals and imaginations are developed..

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaBondar View Post
    My daughter (she is 6yo) has a new passion - Fynsy (a character from online games: http://www.fynsy.com/tag/fynsy). She can spend all day dressing it, doing makeups or playing different quests. I understand that it can be useful, and include some elements of education, and still...not sure if it is good or not.
    Do your children play any online/computer games? How to limit this new "hobbie" and replace it with something else? Or maybe I shouldn`t?
    What do you think about online games?
    Of course yes
    There are so many of them and personally I see no harm in playing computer games. Our son likes to play them very much, usually variour
    quest and fighting ones, they're his favourites. He usually plays every day, however we control his general time with them because we don't wantto create an addiction to them, besides long using of computer or I-pad isn't good for eyes, especially in case of children. 1-2 hours per day is enough in our opinion but I should mention that he's interested in other activities too so we don't need usually to struggle with him aboutthis. But if a child plays only computer games instead of all other activities, that's a bad sign for parents, well usually it shows that they aren't enough attentive to their child and later getting rid of such addiction can become really a problem
    Also I like in this case that there are a lot of nice special teaching games for children. We liked the most of all the ones devoted to teaching maths and alphabet (Check Zebrainy ABCs for example) https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-s...165324239?mt=8 , they're really helpful for preparing our boy to school. Games are always recommended for more effective teaching of kids and digital type is cool in this case too, especially with interesting gameplay, high-quality graphics and good music. Playing a teaching game is usually the best way for learning because it's such a fun for kids, easy, interesting and helpful for keeping the motivation. And I'm really glad to see that such games create in him interest and inspiration for learning smth new in general, I hope so much that this attitude will
    stay also during school years because it's the main thing for becoming a successful student in future.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.