How long were you breastfeeding?

How long were you breastfeeding?

Hi Mums,
    I would like to know how long were you breastfeeding and how did you stop it? I breastfeed my son till he was 1 year & 4 months old, then I left him with my parents for a month, and I remember it was a painful month for both of us. My daughter is 1 year old and I would like to stop breastfeeding her, however, she starts crying and would not stop if I do not breastfeed her. Any advice on how & when to stop is welcome.

First one, had no idea stopped at 6 months because everybody around me (doctors, mother, mother-in-law) were insisting that was the right time to change to formula and start weaning...
    Second one, and all the next (I don't want to give a number for security reasons) gave them 3 years breastfeeding. Sometimes in tandem. Once they started with solids when 2 years old! then I always started with tricks to swap with yummy treats that my children couldn't resist like yoghurt with honey, berries...(each of them had a different temptation) and reduce the times until there was only night breastfeeding before going to bed. And finally removed that one too. Takes some months during the 3rd year but it's worth. Best of my life.

Ivalina, it is totally normal that she cries because she is fighting instinctively for her natural right. Modern life is against nature ok, well then it's much harder. My first baby suffered a lot, the weaning took months and cried so much, started to suck her thumb and even to stimulate her right nipple, had many many digestive problems. None of the next babies had anything similar because they left breastfeeding only when they were ready. With the first one the trauma prolonged, it was a nightmare until 3 years old and doctors were only telling me that it was normal, that the ticks would go away. If I had knew then I would have changed my mind. Just follow your instincts and if you need to do it then do it very slowly and with the best formula you can get. Make sure the baby has natural hydration through fruits or natural home made juices to avoid constipation caused by formula and other meals.

Good luck and best wishes!

I stopped as and when my daughter was 12 months. It wasvery tough to get her to wean – she would cry non-stop. Somehow, I managed tointroduce a bottle to her. It took time for her to adjust but eventually shemoved on to a bottle. It takes time, just be patient and calm. Hugs!

I breastfed until 14 months. It was not very difficult to transition and my son took to the bottle pretty quickly.

Both my sons went from breast-milk to cows milk at 6 months. No bottles, just slanted cups and two happy little lads! I was told that they don't need more than six months and it made sense to me as they were growing into fit and healthy babies. Bottles! I couldn't see the point in plastic teats and all that sterilizing when they took to the cup so easily.

I breastfed for 2 years.

I stopped feeding my daughter's breast at about 1 year and 1 month. By that time, I only ate breastfed at night, and during the day the child ate porridge and soups. My husband and I were taken to my mother for 1 week and left her there, from the first night she started to eat the mixture.

My first one we cut off 100% at 10 months. That was a rough week for all of us and very painful for me. My 2nd one i started to cut back around 10 months but her great grandma was introducing a bottle by 7 or 8 months. She then only nursed at night just after 10 months or when she was really upset. Then at a year she started going to bed with a small bottle of milk. For me i try and go about 10 months, though it really depends on your life/situation.

Too bad only a month because nothing is coming out even if we already did everything. :-(

Hi Mommies, I was breastfeeding my girl till she turned 2 years. It was very difficult after she turned 1 year but then things were so that I could not resist her from taking the feed.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.