Fluoride for teeth??

Fluoride for teeth??

Hello,

I am new to this - but had a question about fluoride for babies teeth.

My son is 6 months old - he has 2 teeth already, but we have been using bottled water for his bottles since he started on formula... at what point, if ever, do we need to switch to tap water for the fluoride for his teeth? some say it is a must, others say it doesn't matter much at this point...

Also, if switching to tap water, should we be boiling it? or does that kill the fluoride?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I am also interested in this!

I got fluoride free toothpaste for my 6 month old. He also has two tiny teeth, just came through a week ago
    Should I be brushing his teeth twice a day?

I remember my mom telling me she used to give me supplemental fluoride tablets. Is this something that is still recommended?

Hey there, my daughter is 5 weeks, on formula since 4 days, also bottled.
    I spoke to my midwife about this, because I live in the country and use rain water for myself. Meaning no fluoride. She told me that it's best to use a fluoride toothpaste twice a week and a normal baby milk paste the other days. (granted my baby still gummy.)

As to Obsidian's question. My midwife again, said brushing once a day is fine until the age of one; though this depends upon what your child is eating. More surgery foods mean extra brushing.

Although, I live in Australia and every country has a different view upon things. If your unsure, it's always best to check with your own doctor or midwife.
    Last edited by LisaLeigh; 02-12-2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.

Thanks LisaLeigh! Is it safe for babies to swallow the fluoride toothpaste? I haven't found a specific baby fluoride toothpaste yet.. Can I use adult toothpaste aswell?

Adult toothpaste, as yeah what they make for babies and children does not contain any fluoride. Though only use the most tiny amount. Swallowing a dribble amount won't be very harmful, it might just cause a little discomfort in some babies for a moment. It's always best if you're able to kinda rinse out their mouth afterwards. A hard thing to accomplish, but well worth it. Establishing a good dental routine at such a young age is probably the most important thing you can ever teach your child.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.